By Hugh Liddle, THE Sales Wizard
There’s an old saying that What you focus on expands. In other words, if you focus on what you don’t want, you’ll get more of it, and if you focus on what you do want, you’ll get more of that. That being the case, and I believe it is, where we focus our thoughts, our emotions, our attention and our time will determine the directions and outcomes in our lives.
Now, there are two considerations when it comes to focus. The first is, on what should I focus? The second is, how can I maintain my focus? This article will focus on the first question, and next week’s will look at the second.
On what should I be focusing in my business? Here are some suggestions that you can use as a guide to answer that question for yourself.
- Focus on the activities that will generate revenue in your business. There are many activities in which you can participate during your business day that have nothing to do with increasing your profitability and your cash flow. Devote the largest segment of your day to doing the things that will increase your sales, because that is the source of your revenue and your profits. Block specific times in your calendar to prospect, have sales conversations and do your follow-up calls. Don’t allow yourself to become distracted by organizational activities or busywork. Organizing files, reading email, re-arranging the furniture, filing, etc. are activities that need to be done, and they can be accomplished in non-prime time hours, or even delegated to others. If you’re generating cash flow, you can afford to hire help!
- Focus on helping your prospective clients and practice members get what they want. When you’re talking with a prospective client, your focus must be on them, on what they think, feel, want and need. You must keep your attention focused on what they’re saying verbally and on their facial expressions and body language, so you can really hear them. Listen with your ears, your mind and your heart. If you’re thinking about the amount of money you’ll make if they buy, the bills and expenses you have to take care of this month, the disagreement you had with your significant other last night, the party you’re going to after work tonight or anything else that takes your attention away from your prospect, your focus is in the wrong place. The great Zig Zigler said, “If you help enough other people get what they want, you’ll get what you want.”
- Focus on learning and improving. If you focus on doing the same thing you’ve always done, the way you’ve always done it, the world can pass you by in a very short space of time. Read books that will help you be better at marketing and selling. Read blogs and listen to programs that help you grow your business. Hire a coach to help you navigate successfully in areas where you struggle. Get involved in networking groups or masterminds, where you can get practical advice and information to get your business successful.
- Finally, focus on your goals. There’s a lot of negative going on out there in the world, and it’s easy to get caught up in it. So instead of focusing on the latest sensational news or what some idiot on social media is saying or even the negative thoughts that creep into your mind uninvited, keep your attention on what you want to achieve. Focus on how you can make it happen. Focus on the rewards that will come as you achieve. Focusing on your goals will help you stay positive and make the most of your time. Take a few minutes every day as you’re planning your activities to write your goals down and read them to yourself out loud. Don’t let anything or anyone keep you from doing your planning and refocusing yourself every day!
Next week we’ll talk about some strategies you can utilize to get back on track when your focus gets blurry!
So this week, think about where the focus is in your business and whether you want to change your focus in any way. Dedicate yourself to focusing on the positives! If you want assistance to change your sales results and help and serve more people, get in touch with a Red Cap Sales Wizard and arrange a FREE one-hour strategy session.
Here are a few value-packed resources of which you can take advantage at no charge:
- Wednesdays With the Wizards is a brand new, weekly Facebook Live event for you. Another great sales and marketing wizard, Murphy Alafoginis, and I will be sharing stories, sales and marketing tips, fun stuff and answers to your sales and marketing questions. You can tune in at 9:00 AM EDT every Wednesday at http://facebook.com/redcapsalescoaching.
- You can have access two FREE 3-video series on answering objections. One is specifically for chiropractors, and would be useful to any kind of alternative health professional. The other is specifically for coaches, and would be helpful to any service-oriented business. http://redcapsalescoaching.com
- If you’d like to spend an hour with a sales wizard to talk about your business and your sales, ask questions privately and get some great sales tips, ideas and strategies, you can go the Calendar at http://bit.ly/wizard-strategy. There’s no charge, no obligation and no pressure when you take advantage of this resource.
Feel free to take advantage of any or all of these free resources!
Love & blessings,
THE Sales Wizard